Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄3 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 1 1⁄3 cups toasted walnuts or 1 1⁄3 cups pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a cookie sheet.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl on medium speed, till soft peak stage.
- Add the sugar gradually. beat till glossy stiff peaks form.
- Carefully fold in cardamom, dates and nuts.
- Drop mixture by the tablespoon onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Came out soft, like marshmallows. Next time, I'll bake them at 200 degrees, for an hour at least. That's my mom's trick for meringue.