Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Japanese Soup Stock (1 quart)
- 5 1⁄4 cups cold purified water
- 4 inches dried kelp, cut into square (kombu)
- 1⁄2 cup bonito flakes (katsuobushi)
- Sponge kelp clean and cut into a half-inch fringe.
- Put in a medium saucepan with cold water and bring just to a boil over moderate heat.
- Remove kelp (and reserve for one more stock making session).
- Return water to a boil, stir in bonito, remove from heat and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Strain (also reserving bonito for one more round) and use as needed.
- The stock will keep for a few days in the refrigerator.
Nice and simple, I'm gonna try adding burdock root...we'll see how it goes!