Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of DH's favourites from Island cookery, Dar Pirie.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup medium coconut or 1⁄2 cup fine coconut
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 unbeaten eggs
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Cut together the crust ingredients as for a pie crust.
- Pack into a 9 x 12 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Meanwhile mix together the brown sugar, walnuts and 2 eggs.
- Spreat evenly over warm crust and bake at 350 degrees F 25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Mix butter, powdered sugar and lemon.
- Spread icing.
- Cut into small squares when icing has set.
WOW! These are tender and delicious, with just a hint of coconut flavor. A nice change from plain lemon squares. Next time I will double the nuts, as it didn't seem to be enough for our tastes. A very good recipe I will use again.