Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I always thought borsht soup was just made with beets until I tried this recipe. Sorry cannot advise amount of water - this is the way the recipe was given to me and so I would assume using a normal size soup/stock pot.
- 3 cups boneless beef cubes
- 1 large onion
- water, to cover
- 7 -8 large beets, cubed (or 20 small)
- 5 -7 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar, to taste (up to 1/2 cup)
- sour cream
- Brown beef cubes with onion and salt & pepper to taste. (I used moose meat).
- Cover with 4 cups water and simmer 1/2 hour on low.
- Add cubed beets (8-10 cups) and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add more water til pot is 3/4 full. (I added 8 cups beef broth).
- Add bay leaves and simmer 1 hour.
- Add vinegar to taste and simmer 1 hour uncovered.
- Remove bay leaves and serve with dollop of sour cream.