Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I like my burger lean and healthy and my skinny wife wolfed it all up. Simple home made tasty burger but it would not give you a Mac heart attack.
- 100 g lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon barbecue seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 dash mixed Italian herbs
- 2 slices focaccia bread
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- To save time and I am a person who doesn't like to wait around, this is order of things.
- Mix the minced beef together with all condiments and herbs with italian herbs being last item.
- Roll into a ball and press into a patty, roughly 12 cm in diameter ( 5 inches) and 1.5cm ( 1/2 inch) thick. Beef tends to shrink upon cooking so don't worry about being too big.
- Store in fridge for 15 minutes. Wash hands. (You can store longer if you like).
- In the meantime, slice up the onions and tomatoes, leave it in the fridge.
- After the beef has been marinated 15 minutes, heat up skillet or non stick pan. (medium high).
- Grill the patty in the skillet or fry in the pan.
- Flip the patty every 1 min till browning occurs outside.
- Remove the patty and leave it to rest.
- Lower the fire and saute the sliced white onions, add 0.5 cup wine to deglaze and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
- Saute about 2 minutes till onions slightly soften and caramelized.
- Turn off the heat but leave the onions inside the skillet/pan.
- Put 2 sliced tomatoes on the bottom bread and place the patty on top.
- Scoop in the fried onions on the patty and top it up with another slice or two of tomato.
- Cover with the top bread and serve with salad to up the health quotient.
Yum! Had to omit the barbecue seasoning but included everything, including the nutmeg! It gave it a spicy flavor. The onions really made this dish stand out. This is definitely in my rotation, and used as a basis for others. :)
EXCELLENT! The seasoning was perfect. Nice spice factor which we loved. I wasn't sure what barbecue seasoning was so added about 2 tsp. of barbecue sauce. Left out the nutmeg altogether and didn't use the red wine, just a little cooking spray to saute the onions. We grilled these on the grill tonight. Made fresh Baked " Bread Machine" Focaccia With the Works to go with this. Would never have thought to used Focaccia Bread for a hamburger, but it works. We'll be making these again. Thanks for sharing. Made for "New Kid On The Block" tag game.