Recipe by mellz
This is an easy version of Portuguese Sweet Rice that is absolutely delicious. It substitutes instant lemon pudding for the several eggs, that most traditional recipes call for, that add the traditional yellow color. I love this as a dessert or breakfast, served warm or cold. It makes a large platter which serves a crowd. My Portuguese friend Darnele gave me this recipe. It's a favorite of hers and now mine. Try it, you'll love it.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups white rice (River Rice is best)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant lemon pudding
- 4 1⁄2 cups whole milk, separated (1/2 c. for pudding)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water, rice, salt, & butter. Stir frequently between stages. When dry (liquid is cooked off) add 4 Celsius milk. When dry, add 1/1/2 Celsius sugar. When dry, in separate bowl, mix lemon pudding with 1/2c. milk then mix into rice and stir well.
- Spread onto large 1" deep platter and sprinkle with cinnamon.