1/11 Photos of Darn Good Chocolate Cake ( Cake Mix Cake)
This recipe is adapted from "The Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor" by Anne Byrn. It was originally a bundt cake with chocolate chips, but I prefer the look of layer cakes (so much more homey looking) so I switched the cake pan size AND I left out the chocolate chips (because there's nothing worse than ruining the velvety texture of a layer cake than by adding hard chocolate chips to it). This is a dense, moist layer cake. I cut each layer in half so I get 4 layers and slather them with "perfect chocolate frosting" (" Perfect" Chocolate Frosting). The end result is a fudgy chocolate layer cake with tons of frosting (and yes, it is going to be sweet). It is KEY to cut the layers in half. It ends up being a much moister cake this way because the frosting kind of melts into the cake layers forming a kind of fudgy filling in between the thin cake layers. I hope you enjoy it :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease 2 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3Dust with flour and tap out the excess; set pans aside.
- 4Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- 5Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute.
- 6Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 7On medium low speed, continue to blend for 2-3 minutes more.
- 8The batter will be very thick and should look well combined.
- 9Pour batter into prepared pans and smooth it out.
- 10Bake for 27-32 minutes (since I switched pans, I started checking the cakes at 25 minutes-- it was like gooey chocolate pudding-- then 3 minutes later it was perfect.
- 11Another couple of minutes and I think it would have been dry, so keep an eye on your cakes.
- 12Allow to cool in the pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- 13Now is the time to start preparing your frosting.
- 14Run a knife along the edges on the cakes pans and carefully remove cake by inverting it; allow to cool for 20 minutes more on the wire rack right side up.
- 15When the cake layers are completely cool, cut layers in half (save a domed layer for the top-- it makes your cakes look homemade) and frost.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Darn Good Chocolate Cake ( Cake Mix Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.2
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 397.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 3.9 g