Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I am trying to learn to use my crock pot. I made this up yesterday and my husband loved it and I did too. I have discovered the crock pot to be a pretty good way of cooking if you know how to do it. I'm learning.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes with onion and garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄3 cups orzo pasta
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup water
- Put chicken breasts in crock pot.
- Pour can of tomatoes and tomato sauce over chicken.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning over top.
- Pour orzo on top and add water.
- Give a good stir and cook on low till done to your satisfaction (about 4 hours for me).
I was disappointed in the outcome of this dish. I used the exact proportions of everything, except that I had used tomatoes with celery, onion and green pepper, so I added 2 cloves of minced garlic. For some reason, I decided to brown my chicken first and am glad I did. After 3 hours on low I checked and the pasta was sludge. WAY OVERCOOKED. The chicken was done, barely. I think the idea here was great and the flavor combination would be excellent. And while all crockpots do cook differently,(and I did check to make sure mine was on low); either the liquid to pasta ratio was off, or the cooking time was off. I will try again, and this time add the pasta after 3 hours and let cook for 1 hour and see if that might be the solution. Darlene, I hope you keep trying new things in your crockpot and keep on posting them, and I'll be sure to let you know if my modification to the cooking time improves the outcome.