1/2 Photos of Dark Tuscan Bread (Pane Toscano Scuro)
24 hrs 40 mins
This is a common variation of the traditional saltless Tuscan bread. If it gets stale, which it will quickly, use it for panzananella, pappa al pomodoro, or croutons.
My Private Note
large r ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (6 g)
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (175 g)
- 1STARTER, stir the yeast into the water and let it stand for 10 minutes, until creamy.
- 2Add the flour and stir with 100 strokes of a wooden spoon, or w/ the paddle of an electric mixer for 1 minute (I recommend the latter unless your arms look like Popeyes).
- 3Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until tripled, 6 hours to overnight.
- 4DOUGH, stir yeast into the warm water and let it stand for 10 minutes, until creamy.
- 5Add the room temp water and the starter.
- 6Stir vigorously or squeeze the mixture between your fingers to break the starter up.
- 7Stir in the flours, half at a time, until thoroughly mixed.
- 8Knead dough on floured work surface until firm and resilient, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 9Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 10Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and punch it, then shape it into a large round loaf, or 2 oval loaves.
- 11Place on cornmeal-sprinkled peel or an oiled baking sheet.
- 12Dust the top (s) lightly with flour, cover with a lightly dampened towel, and let rise until doubled again, 45 to 60 minutes.
- 13Preheat oven to 450F.
- 14Score top of loaf (ves) with a sharp knife or razor in a"tic-tac-toe" pattern and slide onto a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 15Bake 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 400F& bake 20 minutes for the smaller loaves, and 25 to 30 minutes for the large loaf.
- 16Loaf is done when they sound hollow when tapped.
- 17Cool on a rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Tuscan Bread (Pane Toscano Scuro)
Serving Size: 1 (1131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1136.1
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 20.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 240.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.0 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 42.7 g