Prep 48 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Black kale, black garlic, black radish, black vinegar, black lentils, black rice, black pepper and black sesame seeds go into this hearty salad! If you've ever wanted to entertain your "dark side" this is a great way to do it - even though the black radish is white inside.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup black rice, soaked overnight (this is not the same as wild rice)
- 1 cup black lentils (also called beluga lentils)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 black radish, peeled and diced
- kosher salt
- 1 bunch of tuscan kale, destemmed and sliced into thin strips (also called black or dinosaur kale)
- 1 medium carrot, julienned (if you have purple carrots it keeps the salad a similar colour)
- 3 tablespoons black vinegar (Chinkiang vinegar) or 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove black garlic, mashed (you can omit this if you can't find it or use roasted garlic)
- 2 tablespoons raw agave nectar or 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- Combine broth and water in a measuring cup.
- Divide between two saucepans - 3 cups in one and 1 in the other.
- Bring the pot with the lesser amount of liquid to a boil and add the black rice. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the liquid in the other pot to a boil and add the lentils. Reduce the heat to a brisk simmer and cook 20 minutes, then drain well.
- When both the rice and lentils are cooked, transfer them both to a bowl and stir in the ginger. Cool completely (you can do this a day ahead).
- Toss the radish dice with a good amount of Kosher salt (the exact amount depends on how large your radish is) and place in a colander. Let stand 1 hour, then rinse and drain well.
- Toss the kale with the carrot, cooled lentils and rice, and rinsed radish.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, garlic, agave, soy sauce, oils, pepper and salt, then pour over the salad and toss well.
- Cover and chill at least 24 hours.
- Just before serving, fold in the black sesame seeds.