Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
We're having avocado sandwiches for supper tonight and I wanted a nice bread to go with them, so I made a loaf of Pumpernickel. I didn't have any caraway seeds, so added a handful of sesame and sunflower seeds as well as some oat flakes. I did this when the machine beeped 3 times. This will give the bread more fiber and taste. I made a 2 lb. loaf with a medium crust. and followed the recipe for my Bread man Bread Machine. I've listed the ingredients as I put them into the machine. The estimated time on the bread machine might vary for yours, my bread machine sets the time automatically.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (100-115'F)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk (I used soy milk powder)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (I used unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast (I used red star from the jar)
- Put all the ingredients in the order given or as per your bread maker's instructions. I think the order is pretty standard, just make sure the yeast is the last thing you add and that it doesn't touch the liquids.
- I used the Whole Wheat Bread setting as suggested in the recipe.
- When the bread is done, remove the bread pan and cool for a few minutes, then turn it out onto a metal rack to cool complete before cutting.
- Bon Appetit!
i love this recipe. I just did a minor change, used fennel seeds instead of caraway. Yummy!
I love pumpernickel bread.This one is a keeper recipe. As did Cookgirl, we had it with split pea soup.
Simple to prepare and a wonderful flavor! It garners the much-coveted ~Tasty Dish~ Seal of Approval. Served with split pea soup! PS I skipped the wheat gluten. Thanks for posting! cg