Recipe by Karin...
This bread is perfect used for sandwiches! Lovely texture, inviting aroma!, and yummy flavour! The colour AND flavour can easily be adjusted to suit your own taste.
Top Review by Mark Kovach
This bread is delicious. No further comment required. To those who said the dough is sticky I think that Karin knew that and is why she said to let it rise in a "well greased bowl". Having said that I did cut back on the water by 1/4 cup. I didn't have instant coffee so I subsituted 1/2 cup of my favorite dark roast brewed coffee for 1/2 cup of the plain water. Seems to have worked out ok. I also didn't have caraway seeds and I don't miss them. Finally to the person who said that 200'C is a bit low, that's 392 farenheit and to me that's a about 17 degrees high. Folks make sure what setting you're looking at, I almost messed this up thinking it was 200'f. This will be my standard Rye bread recipe from now on.
- 3 teaspoons dried yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (more or less according to taste)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all of the above ingredients, accurately measured and in the order I have listed them, into the bread machine.
- Select the 'dough' cycle.
- When the cycle is complete, take the dough out of the bread machine, place it in a well greased bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1/2 an hour.
- Then knead the dough lightly (while still in the bowl), for about 1 minute.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Either 'pat' the dough into a ball, flatten slightly and pinch all the edges underneath, and place in a round pan and dust with flour, OR 'pat' the dough into a 'log' shape and place in a loaf tin, for a rectangular or 'brick' shape.
- Leave the dough to rise again, this time for about 1 hour or until it has risen to about double it's original size.
- Bake at 200°C for about 30 minutes.