On a mission to find "the" pumpkin bread a distant relative makes - after years of begging for the recipe to no avail!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup raisins or 1⁄3 cup chopped dates
- Whisk together the first 8 ingredients. Beat the butter for a minute or so, then gradually beat in the molasses, and beat till lightened. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then add the pumpkin.
- Combine the milk and vanilla.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk mixture to the pumpkin mixture. (If you're using white or wheat flour, don't overbeat). Fold in the nuts and raisins.
- Bake in a greased 9"x5" pan at 350F for about an hour, until a pick comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before unmolding.