Recipe by Topher
I love the combination of the gingerbread and the molasses. The nuts give it an extra crunch in the texture as well.
- 90 g butter
- 360 g dark cane sugar
- 140 ml molasses
- 60 ml golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 150 ml milk
- 250 g flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 125 g walnut pieces
- 250 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 140ºC. Grease a 32cm x 22cm x 5cm baking tin with butter then line with non-stick baking paper.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter, 60g of the sugar, molasses, and golden syrup. In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and set aside.
- Sieve the flour, spices and soda into another bowl.
- Pour the eggs and syrup into the flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in walnuts and pour into the tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer comes out with moist crumbs.
- While the cake is still warm, bring the water and remaining sugar to a simmer. Pour over the cake and let the syrup soak inches.