Recipe by Mille®
From "Cooking with Beer" by Lucy Saunders; printed in the Chicago Sun Times, October 9, 1996. Times do not include chill time.
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 8 fluid ounces heineken dark beer or 8 fluid ounces other dark lager beer
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 4 fluid ounces cider vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Spoon the mixture into the top of a double boiler.
- Cook over simmering (not boiling) water until thickened and steaming, about 10 minutes, whisking often to prevent curdling.
- Let cool to room temperature, then chill.
- Serve as a condiment for meats and deli sandwiches.
- This mustard will keep, refrigerated, in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 weeks.