Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 3 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup firm unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease two cookie sheets thoroughly.
- Put the flour and spices in a food processor.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, add to the processor, and blend until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, molasses, and egg, and mix to a dough.
- Wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the mixture on a floured surface.
- Cut out rounds or squares and place on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the shapes have risen slightly and appear a little paler in color.
- Leave for two minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.