Recipe by Dee514
This fruitcake is a Christmas tradition at our house. It is a dark fruitcake, rich with lots of nuts and candied fruits and a bit of rum. Makes 1 Large Tube Cake and 2 8-inch loaves
Top Review by Holly Mercer
I'd leave out the hazelnuts -- and cut the entire recipe in half -- but that's all. This cake is very, very dense, not too spicy or sweet but incredibly rich, it's everything Christmas cake should be. My family was quite satisfied, after three weeks of agitating to cut the cakes early. On the other hand, it took a whole lot of time and dinero just to get the ingredients together. If you're seriously into fruitcake, go for it.
- 2 cups mixed candied fruit
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mincemeat
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark raisins
- 2⁄3-1 cup candied citron peel
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched whole almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole brazil nuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 2 cups dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup whole candied red cherries or 3⁄4 cup green glazed cherries (or combination, recommended)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup extra flour, for coating fruits and nuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup dark rum or 1 cup brandy
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 4 -5 eggs (1 cup)
- 1 cup oil (canola, safflower, corn, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat rum on high for 30 seconds.
- Stir in raisins and heat on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir rum/raisins, cover and set aside.
- Heat oven to 275°F.
- Grease and flour a large (12 cup) tube or bundt pan, and two 8 or 9-inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except fruits, nuts, raisins, mincemeat and water (or orange juice).
- Mix for about 1 minute on low speed of mixer, scraping bowl constantly.
- Drain rum from raisins, add water (or orange juice) to rum to equal 1 cup.
- Add rum/juice mixture to batter and beat for 3 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl occaisionally.
- Stir in mincemeat and mix well.
- Batter will be very thick.
- In a large bowl, mix together all fruits and nuts (including drained raisins).
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour and toss to coat (add more flour if necessary).
- With a wooden spoon, stir all the fruits and nuts into the batter, making sure all are coated.
- Fill large tube pan to within 2 inches of the rim, spread mixture evenly.
- Divide remaining mixture evenly in the 2 prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- If necessary, cover fruitcakes with aluminum foil for the last hour of baking to prevent over browning.
- Remove cakes from pans and cool.
- When cool, (brush them with additional rum- optional), then wrap them well in plastic wrap and store in a cool place for at least 3-4 week before serving.