Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
For date-lover's, this is a moist and rich it tastes like a fruitcake, do not overbake or the cake will be dry, this may also be baked in two small smaller loaf pans which is what I did when I made this cake ;-)
- 1 (8 ounce) package dates
- 1 1⁄4 cups Coke or 1 1⁄4 cups Pepsi
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease one 9x5-in loaf pan or a 2-qt Bundt pan.
- Chop the dates.
- In a saucepan, heat Cola to a gentle boil; remove from heat.
- stir in the chopped dates, mixing very well.
- Stir in the sugar and oil; allow to cool to room temperature.
- When cooled, stir in the egg and brewed coffee.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger powder, lemon zest, salt and nuts.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the Cola and date mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake approx 1 hour, or until cake tests done.
- Cool for 20 mins, before removing from the pan.
I have made this recipe twice and both times it has been dry and crumbly - not moist as you describe it. I have followed the ingredients to the letter and tried reducing the cooking time, but without success. Maybe I just don't have the knack. It does have an interesting flavour, however, and is quite tasty if eaten fairly soon after being prepared or with a little jam or yoghurt.