Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
From: Brooklyn chocolatiers, the Mast Brothers, was posted on yahoo.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (at least 70% cacao)
- unsalted butter and warm pure maple syrup (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add egg yolks, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Blend with a fork, then gradually incorporate dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Working in 2 batches, fold egg whites into batter just until combined. Fold in chocolate. DO AHEAD: Batter with egg whites can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
- Heat a waffle iron until very hot; lightly coat with nonstick spray. Working in batches, cook waffles until cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack set inside a baking sheet, cover loosely with foil, and keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
- Serve waffles with butter and syrup.