Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a rich old fashioned treat! From the Taste of Home magazine. Enjoy! An English recipe brought over to the Soutnern USA.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 7 ounces dark chocolate candy bars, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (optional)
- grated chocolate (optional)
- pirouette cookies (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in milk until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; gradually whisk in chocolate and vanilla until smooth.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding.
- Spoon into dessert dishes.
- Garnish with whipped cream, grated chocolate and cookies.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
THis was wonderfully thick and rich - even with lowfat milk! I used a bit of hazelnut flavored chocolate along with the dark as that is what I had. Thanks!
Oh my goodness! This is a wonderful, rich and delicious pudding! My DH loves pudding and this was an instant hit for him! I did use sugar free chocolate bars and Splenda so I could eat this dessert too. Absolutely wonderful! Thank you Sharon! Made for KK Mini Cook a thon
Wonderful chocolate pudding! I used Hershey's special dark chocolate and omitted the cookies. Loved the deeper rich flavor of this pudding, this is not the sweeter type pie filling flavor. When I make this again will add a little Amaretto.