1/1 Photo of Dark Chocolate Pecan Torte
1 hr 10 mins
Marie Nixon's Note:
This recipe was invented by a 12 yr. old boy for a cooking contest. It's so good, I make it for my birthday cake. It really is so rich that you can get 10 servings out of an 8" springform pan
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1Remove the side from an 8" springform pan.
- 2Line the bottom of the pan with waxed paper, extending the paper over the bottom edge.
- 3Attach side to bottom of the springform pan, making sure paper is secured to the pan.
- 4Trim paper to just beyond edge of pan.
- 5Grease paper and 1 inch up sides of pan with shortening or butter; set aside (or, grease the bottom of a 9x1 1/2" round baking pan; line bottom of pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper and side of pan. Set aside).
- 6Place the 1 cup of chocolate pieces and the 1/3 cup butter in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- 7Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 minute to 1 minute and 15 seconds or until chocolate is smooth when stirred; cool slightly.
- 8Add granulated sugar and the 1 1/2 tsp vanilla to melted chocolate mixture.
- 9Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed.
- 10Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 11Beat in flour and water on low speed, just until combined.
- 12Stir in the 3/4 cup pecans.
- 13Thoroughly wash beaters.
- 14In a bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt with electric mixer on high speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- 15Stir a small amount of the beaten egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture to lighten the batter.
- 16Carefully fold the remaining egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- 17Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 18If using the springform pan, place it in a shallow baking pan on the oven rack.
- 19If using the 9" baking pan, place it directly on the oven rack.
- 20Bake cake in a 350°F oven about 45 minutes for the springform pan or about 35 minutes for the 9" pan or until the top is evenly puffed.
- 21Torte will not test done in center.
- 22Top will have a sugary crust that will crack.
- 23Remove springform pan from baking pan.
- 24Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
- 25Loosen edge of cake from pan.
- 26Remove side of pan.
- 27Invert onto serving plate.
- 28Remove pan bottom.
- 29Peel off paper.
- 30If using 9" pan, cool cake in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes; loosen side of cake and invert onto plate.
- 31Peel off paper.
- 33Spoon Chocolate Glaze over cake, spreading to cover top and allowing glaze to drip over sides.
- 34If desired, sprinkle top with chopped pecans.
- 35Cover; refrigerate about 30 minutes or until glaze is set.
- 36Chocolate Glaze.
- 37In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons water.
- 38Microwave on 100 percent (high) about 45 seconds.
- 39Add 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract; beat until smooth.
- 40If necessary, add hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time to make a glaze consistency.
- 42Because the torte has very little flour and lots of sugar, the top will puff up during baking and crack.
- 43Don't worry about the cracks.
- 44Before glazing, invert the cake so the smooth bottom becomes the top.
- 45My cake did not crack on top.
- 46Use a large spoon to spread the glaze on the torte, letting some of the glaze spill oven the side.
- 47For a fancier dessert, use a spatula to carefully smooth the glaze around the sides of the torte and over the top.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Chocolate Pecan Torte
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.5
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 79.0 mg
- Sodium 51.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 38.8 g
- Protein 4.1 g