Recipe by BB2011
This was proclaimed the best cake ever by my family at our Thanksgiving meal. It's from Technicolor Kitchen.
Top Review by Studentchef
I really enjoyed this cake, it totally hit the spot, when it comes to chocolate. The pears I had on hand were really small, because they came from my pear tree, so I added three of them, and I'm really glad I did. I think the pears went nicely to the cake, and the pistacios added a nice crunch to it.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pear, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 1⁄2 ounces dark chocolate
- pistachios, for decorating
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter a 9in springform cake pan, then line the bottom with baking paper and butter the paper.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Process the chocolate and pistachios in a food processor until coarse crumbs form.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Add eggs one at a time, beating until well combined, then beat in the vanilla.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture, then add the pistachio and chocolate mixture and the pear.
- Pour into the springform pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 30-40 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes then carefully remove the mold.
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE.
- Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat to just BELOW boiling. Watch carefully to avoid scalding.
- Add chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and set aside until slightly thickened (5-10 minutes).
- Pour ganache over the cake, scatter with pistachios, and place in the refrigerator to set (20-30 minutes).