Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
A dark creamy chocolate ice cream. Prep time does not include chilling/freezing time.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs (Can substitute equal amount of Egg Beaters)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Melt chocolate in double boiler over hot (not boiling) water.
- Gradually whisk in milk, stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually whisk in sugar, then continue whisking 1 minute, until completely blended.
- Add the cream, vanilla, and salt; whisk.
- Add the chocolate mixture; blend well.
- Cover, chill, and freeze according to ice cream maker's directions.
Yummy, we all loved it at home! I'm going to share it with my friends' tomorrow. I know they'll love it as much as we did. I used 4 oz. of dark chocolate as I couldn't get my hands on unsweetened chocolate at the store. I love unsweetened chocolate too, so, I'm sure this will be as yummy and maybe even more yummy with unsweetened chocolate than it is with the dark one. Thanks, again, well enjoyed by all.
I wish I could give this an actual rating, but I believe that the change I made caused it to not turn out very well! Instead of melting the chocolate in a double boiler, I chose to do it in the microwave - which worked well enough, however when I added the cold milk to the warm chocolate, it didn't mix up as it would have if I'd added it to a warm pan. The end result was that I had little pieces of chocolate in the ice cream, which normally would be delicious, but because it was unsweetened it wasn't good at all. This is certainly not the recipes fault, though, and I do plan on trying it again very soon - only this time I'll follow the directions!!
I wish I could give this recipe more stars--it is INCREDIBLE! I made this tonight and it's better than any store bought ice cream! I used 4 oz. of Hershey's milk chocolate chips and only 1/2 cups of sugar. Also used whole milk since that's what we had on hand with Egg Beaters (I like that they're pasturized and having an 18 month old eating this too, I felt better about letting her chow down) Topped this with marshmallow topping and chocolate sprinkles. My hubby and daughter ate this all up without peeping a sound! Thanks for this "keeper recipe" :D