Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 mins
- beat egg substitute with sugar
- heat milk and add egg mixture, beat in cocoa.
- cook until mixture coats back of a spoon.
- remove from heat.
- combine 2 T sugar and 2 T water and boil until it darkens into a caramel.
- Whisk caramel into chocolate base. Chill completely.
- Freeze in ice cream maker.
I made this recipe using milk infused with 1/2 deseeded chili pepper, a cinnamon stick and vanilla (will try 1/2 a vanilla bean next time if I can get a hold of one!), and it was heavenly. The only two things I would mention are: 1) I wasn't sure at what point the water-sugar mix carmelized, but by the time I decided it couldn't boil much longer, it was crystallizing and could not be poured into the chocolate mixture. Might try increasing the amounts and/or decreasing the boiling time; 2) the ice cream mix ended up thicker than I anticipated, almost a pudding consistency. This made churning difficult (at least in my Donvier ice cream maker). Next time, I might try upping the milk, egg, or sugar water to compensate.