Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
Chocolaty, chewy, nutty indulgence that's good for your heart! Dark chocolate, walnuts and oats are all a good boost for your heart health. Another great recipe from Reader's Digest. Number of servings depends on how many bars you cut.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1⁄3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine next 4 ingredients in another bowl; add to sugar ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Press into 13x9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Score surface with shallow cuts to make bars.
- Cool on wire rack then finish cutting into bars.
I have made these a few times & now I think I have found the perfect changes to make this recipe work for me! The 1st time I made them, they didn't hold together as well as I'd hoped. The next time (after cutting the recipe in half) I used 3/4 cup oats & 1/2 cup chopped multigrain Cheerios (instead of the rice crispies). I also used Splenda, sugar free maple syrup, skim milk, natural PB & left out the fruit & nuts. I also used a few tbsp of mini choc chips. NONE of them fell apart & they baked perfectly. Taste just as good as the 1st time, too!
I enjoyed these bars. I did substitute corn syrup for the maple syrup, but I followed the rest of the recipe exactly. I had no problem with the bars staying together, and I found them tasty and filling. Thank you! Edited 6/13/10: I've been making these for over 2 months now, and I really love them! I've switched the type of nuts and the type of chips (using butterscotch, peanut butter, and caramel chips), and this recipe turns out so great every time! I just added another star to my review because these are now my go-to granola bars. Thanks again!
These are great! Very satisfying. They were super easy too. I was surprised at how chocolaty they tasted even though there's only 1/3 cup. Thank you!