Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
The sweet spiciness of the crystallized ginger compliments the richness of the dark chocolate.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg, egg yolk, and sugar until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Beat in vanilla and oil until well combined.
- With the mixer on low, beat in dry ingredients until well combined. Fold in walnuts, chocolate and ginger by hand with a rubber spatula.
- With moistened hands, shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 9 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide. Bake until set on top, about 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board and with a serrated knife, cut each log on the diagonal into 16 slices, each 1/2-inch thick. Return slices to the baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 20 minutes, turning the biscotti over halfway through. Cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.