Prep 4 mins
Cook 2 mins
If your kitchen is cool and the ganache becomes too cold and stiff to spread, set the bowl over a saucepan containing simmering water, then stir briefly until smooth and icinglike. Makes 1 1/2 cups, enough to cover roulade
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces high quality semisweet chocolate or 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- Microwave cream and butter in measuring cup on high until bubbling,.
- about 1 1/2 minutes OR bring to simmer in small saucepan.
- over medium-high heat. Place chocolate in bowl of food processor fitted.
- with steel blade. With machine running, gradually add hot cream and.
- Cognac through feed tube and process until thickened, about 3 minutes. Transfer ganache to medium bowl and let stand at room temperature 1.
- hour, until spreadable (ganache should have consistency of soft icing).
Note: it is 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, not 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream.<br/><br/>I love this ganache and often double the recipe. I use one to fill and lightly frost, then I use the second batch to pour warm but not set ganache right over the top.<br/><br/>In my cool house it takes about an hour to set up, but it varies. I chill it a bit if I am in a hurry.<br/><br/>I'm a member of Cooks Illustrated and love the site.