I know there are hundreds of chocolate cake recipes on here, but you can never have too many to choose from! This is a dark, rich, moist cake with a touch of orange. Mmm... Delicious!
- For the cake:.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until soft and light, stir in the orange rind.
- Break chocolate into a bowl (I recommend that you use 70% cocoa solid minimum), add boiling water and stir until the chocolate is melted and well blended.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and gradually beat into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Beat in the melted chocolate, and then fold in the flour/cocoa mixture with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into two greased and lined tins and bake at 180/350/Gas 4 for 25-30 minutes, until cake shrinks away from the sides of the tin.
- Allow to cool slightly in tins, and then turn out on wire rack. When cold, slice each cake horizontally to make 4 layers. Using a thin layer of jam, sandwich all layers of the cake together.
- Fudge coating:.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa and set aside.
- Put the butter, water and caster sugar into a saucepan and heat gently, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour the hot mixture into the sieved icing sugar/cocoa mixture; mix together until its thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour coating quickly over the cake; smooth over the sides. Leave to set before serving.