Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I know there are hundreds of chocolate cake recipes on here, but you can never have too many to choose from! This is a dark, rich, moist cake with a touch of orange. Mmm... Delicious!
For the cake
- 200 g self raising flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 175 g butter
- 175 g soft brown sugar
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 eggs
- apricot jam
For the fudge coating
- 100 g icing sugar
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 37 g butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 50 g caster sugar
- For the cake:.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until soft and light, stir in the orange rind.
- Break chocolate into a bowl (I recommend that you use 70% cocoa solid minimum), add boiling water and stir until the chocolate is melted and well blended.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and gradually beat into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Beat in the melted chocolate, and then fold in the flour/cocoa mixture with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into two greased and lined tins and bake at 180/350/Gas 4 for 25-30 minutes, until cake shrinks away from the sides of the tin.
- Allow to cool slightly in tins, and then turn out on wire rack. When cold, slice each cake horizontally to make 4 layers. Using a thin layer of jam, sandwich all layers of the cake together.
- Fudge coating:.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa and set aside.
- Put the butter, water and caster sugar into a saucepan and heat gently, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour the hot mixture into the sieved icing sugar/cocoa mixture; mix together until its thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour coating quickly over the cake; smooth over the sides. Leave to set before serving.
Loved everything about this cake: the richness of the chocolate flavour (and yes, I did use 70% cocoa solid chocolate: what else?), the moistness of the cake, the orange flavour and the yummy fudge coating to die for. A veritable Easter treat! :) And great to have on hand at a time when friends and neighbours were dropping in with Easter eggs! Everyone who's tried some has loved this cake and been sent home with a slice in a doggy bag! And the promise of a copy of the recipe! :) Thank you, Noo, for sharing yet another scrumptious recipe, and for providing such wonderfully clear instructions! Made for PRMR.
Absolutely loved the combo of cocoa, dark chocolate, orange zest & apricot jam ~ Makes for an OUTSTANDING CAKE! Will admit that I was generous when it came to the jam & would love to try this with homemade preserves sometime! This is definitely a chocoholic's dream cake! Thanks! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders]
Thanks for a chocolate cake with orange. I, being in the minority, find plain chocolate cake boring and l;ove the orange combination. May I suggest that you do not change the receipe and use any other type of flour. Seems to be much more successful with self-raising. For those of you who are not familiar with grams, etc. you can convert it on this site.