Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very simple recipe that's easily adapted to whatever you have in the cupboard. I am driven crazy on a regular basis, being pestered to make these...so be warned!
- 269.32 g dark chocolate
- 170.09 g butter
- 59.16 ml golden syrup
- 29.58 ml dark rum (optional)
- 170.09 g biscuits (I use rich tea or digestive)
- 28.34 g toasted rice cereal
- 49.61 g chopped walnuts or 49.61 g pecans
- 99.22 g chopped glace cherries
- 28.34 g white chocolate (optional)
- Melt the dark chocolate, butter, syrup and rum in a large saucepan.
- Break up the biscuit and mix it into the chocolate mixture along with the rice cereal, nuts and cherries.
- Line a 7" square tin with parchment paper. Push the mixture into the tin and then chill for 2 hours.
- When set, drizzle with melted white chocolate--optional.
- Cut into squares and watch them disappear before your very eyes!
So wonderful! I used mostly 70% chocolate but didn't have quite enough so added some 49% to make up the difference. I did use the rum but skipped the white chocolate. Used pecans and instead of glace cherries I used sweetened dried cherries. I could have gotten a hold of digestives but instead I used some shortbread cookies I had on hand that someone had given me. Love these so so much! Thanks for sharing!
Was happy to make these, among other things because I still have a nice stash of golden syrup! I did leave out the rum & we didn't miss it one bit! Just one more nice way to serve up what a chocoholic craves ~ Thanks for sharing the recipe [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
These are different from store-bought refrigerator squares that I have had but these are very good! We didn't have rum so used bourbon which worked beautifully. My only change would be to increase the syrup or add a little sugar, although I imagine using really good quality dark chocolate would produce a less bitter taste. Thanks for a lovely recipe! Made for Please Review My Recipe game.