From the blog Cookie + Kate(voted one of the top 10 blogs for 2012 by Saveur magazine). Yummy and healthy! Cookie + Kate adapted this from Sprouted Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Beat the egg whites with a whisk until they are loose and frothy.
- 3Add the sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- 4Add the coconut and mix thoroughly. If you see any syrup pooling at the bottom of the bowl, gradually mix in more coconut flakes until you no longer see any excess. You want the mixture to be just moist enough to hold its shape when compacted into a ball.
- 5Using your hands or a cookie dough scoop, scoop out about 1 tablespoon of the coconut mix at a time and gently scrunch it into a round-ish shape. Place each macaroon onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 6Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden brown.
- 7Once the cookies have cooled completely, melt the chocolate chips. I find it’s easiest to melt the chocolate in the microwave at 20 to 30 second intervals (stir between each interval!). You can also melt the chocolate over a double broiler or in a glass bowl over gently simmering water. Stir the chocolate chips until they have completely melted, and remove from heat.
- 8Lay out a new piece of parchment paper. Dip each macaroon into the melted chocolate, about half way. Lay on the parchment for chocolate to harden. You can speed up the process by placing the baking sheet in the refrigerator or freezer for 10 minutes.
- 10Yields about 2 dozen cookies.
- 11If the maple syrup oozes from the sides of the cookies during baking, use a sharp knife to cut off the excess before dipping the cookie into chocolate.
- 12These cookies were featured in FoodieCrush Magazine’s premier issue (p50-51)!
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Chocolate-Dipped Maple Macaroons
Serving Size: 1 (1394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3571.6
- Calories from Fat 2440
- Total Fat 271.1 g
- Saturated Fat 225.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 813.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 311.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 65.9 g
- Sugars 236.7 g
- Protein 36.0 g