Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 16 mins
Paula Deen; dense and fudgy
Make and share this Dark Chocolate Cupcakes With Cherry Buttercream recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter
- 6 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry-flavored syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 24 standard-size muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, chopped chocolate, and cocoa powder.
- Cook over med-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth; cool for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs at high speed with a mixer until thick and pale.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Gradually add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Stir in butter-chocolate mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, make buttercream--in the top of a double boiler, whisk sugar and egg whites until combined.
- Cook over simmering water until mixture reaches 140° on a candy thermometer; do not stir.
- Immediately pour mixture into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer.
- Beat at high speed for 10 minutes; decrease speed to med-low.
- With mixer running, add butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Add cherry-flavored syrup, beating until combined.
- Keep buttercream at room temperature until ready to frost cupcakes.
- Pipe or spread Cherry Buttercream over cupcakes.
- Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 5 days.