Recipe by Evil Miss Sarah
These dark, bitter-chocolate cakes with a hint of coffee are delicious with a soft, squidgy crumb. They're so moreish that everyone will love them, whatever their diet. Suitable for vegans, and for people on nut, egg and/or dairy-free diets. Top with a chocolate frosting or icing to finish. (Recipe from Cupcake Heaven, by Susannah Blake. (Ryland, Peters & Small, London, 2008))
- 115 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 115 g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, dissolved in 2 Teaspoons Boiling Water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 125 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need: 1 Sieve, 1 Bowl, 1 Wooden Spoon, 1 12-hole cupcake tin, lined with paper cakes, a skewer or toothpick, and a wire rack for cooling.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF), Gas 4.
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and sugar and sift together into a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the 125ml water, the oil, coffee and the vinegar and stir together.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes until risen and firm and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Once cooked, transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When cool, top with a chocolate frosting, icing, or buttercream to finish.