Recipe by Lottidawe
You know how the "home made" version of something is always better? Imagine a home made "Terry's Chocolate Orange"!
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut oranges in half. Juice the halves.
- "Gut" the orange halves of all pulp & pith.
- Slice the halves into strips or triangles (I do triangles).
- Blanch orange peels so they will retain their colour.
- Candie the orange peels: aproximately 1/2 cup water & 1 cup sugar per 3 oranges; bring all 3 to a boil then immediately reduce heat to a simmer; simmer until all liquid has been absorbed by the oranges; STIR FREQUENTLY!
- Toss the candied orange peels in sugar to lightly coat, then spread in one layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a low temperature oven (200 to 250F) until orange peels are sticky but not wet.
- Melt dark chocolate in a double-boiler and proceed to dip the candied orange peels in the chocolate and lay on waxed paper in a cool, dry place to set. A cold cellar is ideal. If you have a garage, there is good in colder climates.
- ***One of the best things about these candies is that you can spread out making them over a week or two! Refrigerate orange peels after each step in an airtight container.
- ***Use oranges with very thick peels. I find sunkist oranges are very good to use for that reason.