Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here's another great cheesecake. How wrong can you go with chocolate and cheesecake! This recipe was found in the Wichita Eagle newspaper. Yes, there are 2 sugar ingredients, for 2 uses. There is also a walnut crust variation for low carbers.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark semisweet chocolate chunks, preferably at least 53 percent cacao
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dark semi sweet semisweet chocolate chunk, preferably at least 53 percent cacao
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Microwave 1 1/4 cups chunks in small, uncovered microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 minute; stir until just smooth.
- If necessary, microwave an additional 10-15 second intervals.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar and butter in 9-inch springform pan. Stir until blended.
- Press on bottom and 1 inch up side of pan.
- Beat cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, sour cream and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in melted chocolate until blended and pour onto crust.
- Place pan in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with hot water to 1-inch depth.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until edges are set but center still moves slightly.
- Remove cheesecake from water bath to wire rack.
- Run knife around edge of cheesecake.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate 1 hour; remove side of pan.
- Microwave 1/2 cup chocolate chunks and whipping cream on high for 1 to 2 minutes; stir until just smooth.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then spread over cheesecake.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- "I do have a hint for the springform pan - cover the insert bottom with foil then assemble the pan. I find this prevents leaks in and out. Makes a very secure seal." -Lee.
- VARIATION CRUST:.
- 1 1/2 cup walnut pieces.
- 1/4 cup sugar.
- 4 Tbs. butter, melted.
- Process walnuts with sugar then process that with the metlted butter until it looks like sand.
- Continue as above.