Recipe by Nana Lee
Here's another great cheesecake. How wrong can you go with chocolate and cheesecake! This recipe was found in the Wichita Eagle newspaper. Yes, there are 2 sugar ingredients, for 2 uses. There is also a walnut crust variation for low carbers.
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark semisweet chocolate chunks, preferably at least 53 percent cacao
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dark semi sweet semisweet chocolate chunk, preferably at least 53 percent cacao
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Microwave 1 1/4 cups chunks in small, uncovered microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 minute; stir until just smooth.
- If necessary, microwave an additional 10-15 second intervals.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Combine crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar and butter in 9-inch springform pan. Stir until blended.
- Press on bottom and 1 inch up side of pan.
- Beat cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, sour cream and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in melted chocolate until blended and pour onto crust.
- Place pan in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with hot water to 1-inch depth.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until edges are set but center still moves slightly.
- Remove cheesecake from water bath to wire rack.
- Run knife around edge of cheesecake.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate 1 hour; remove side of pan.
- Microwave 1/2 cup chocolate chunks and whipping cream on high for 1 to 2 minutes; stir until just smooth.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then spread over cheesecake.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- "I do have a hint for the springform pan - cover the insert bottom with foil then assemble the pan. I find this prevents leaks in and out. Makes a very secure seal." -Lee.
- VARIATION CRUST:.
- 1 1/2 cup walnut pieces.
- 1/4 cup sugar.
- 4 Tbs. butter, melted.
- Process walnuts with sugar then process that with the metlted butter until it looks like sand.
- Continue as above.