Mrs Goodall's Note:
Got this fabulous recipe from Gourmet's 50th Anniversary issue. Gourmet recommends Scharffen Berger chocolate, if you can't find, substitute another high-quality bittersweet chocolate, I like Callebat. I usually buy Callebat mini chocolate chips and then I don't have to chop the chocolate. FYI...The cheescake must be chilled overnight. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 chocolate wafer cookies, from one 9-ounce package
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, 1/2 stick
- 9 2/3 ounces bar scharffen berger 70% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Sharffen Berger)
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces scharffen berger 70% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- bittersweet chocolate, curls
- 1FOR CRUST:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Butter 9 inch diameter springform pan with 3 inch high sides.
- 4Blend cookies in processor until finely ground; blend in sugar.
- 5Add melted butter and process until well blended.
- 6Press crumbs evenly onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan.
- 7Bake just until set, about 5 minutes. Cool while preparing filling.
- 8Maintain oven temperature.
- 9FOR FILLING:.
- 10Stir chopped chocolate in metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth.
- 11Remove bowl from over water; cool chocolate until lukewarm but still pourable.
- 12Blend cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa powder in processor until smooth.
- 13Blend in eggs 1 at a time.
- 14Mix in lukewarm chocolate.
- 15Pour filling over crust; smooth top.
- 16Bake until center is just set and just appears dry, about 1 hour.
- 17Cool 5 minutes.
- 18Run knife around sides of cake to loosen.
- 19Chill overnight.
- 20FOR TOPPING:.
- 21Stir cream, 6 ounces chocolate, and sugar in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- 22Cool slightly.
- 23Pour over center of cheesecake, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge and filling any cracks.
- 24Chill until topping is set, about 1 hour.
- 25DO AHEAD: Can be make 3 days ahead. Cover with foil and keep refrigerated.
- 26Release pan sides.
- 27Transfer cheescake to platter.
- 28Top with chocolate curls.
- 29Let stand 2 hours at room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Chocolate Cheesecake - East Coast
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.5
- Calories from Fat 353
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 184.4 mg
- Sodium 349.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 28.9 g
- Protein 9.2 g