Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Got this fabulous recipe from Gourmet's 50th Anniversary issue. Gourmet recommends Scharffen Berger chocolate, if you can't find, substitute another high-quality bittersweet chocolate, I like Callebat. I usually buy Callebat mini chocolate chips and then I don't have to chop the chocolate. FYI...The cheescake must be chilled overnight. Enjoy!
- 24 chocolate wafer cookies, from one 9-ounce package
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted, 1/2 stick
- 9 2⁄3 ounces bar scharffen berger 70% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Sharffen Berger)
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces scharffen berger 70% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- bittersweet chocolate, curls
- FOR CRUST:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter 9 inch diameter springform pan with 3 inch high sides.
- Blend cookies in processor until finely ground; blend in sugar.
- Add melted butter and process until well blended.
- Press crumbs evenly onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan.
- Bake just until set, about 5 minutes. Cool while preparing filling.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- FOR FILLING:.
- Stir chopped chocolate in metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth.
- Remove bowl from over water; cool chocolate until lukewarm but still pourable.
- Blend cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa powder in processor until smooth.
- Blend in eggs 1 at a time.
- Mix in lukewarm chocolate.
- Pour filling over crust; smooth top.
- Bake until center is just set and just appears dry, about 1 hour.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Run knife around sides of cake to loosen.
- Chill overnight.
- FOR TOPPING:.
- Stir cream, 6 ounces chocolate, and sugar in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Pour over center of cheesecake, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge and filling any cracks.
- Chill until topping is set, about 1 hour.
- DO AHEAD: Can be make 3 days ahead. Cover with foil and keep refrigerated.
- Release pan sides.
- Transfer cheescake to platter.
- Top with chocolate curls.
- Let stand 2 hours at room temperature before serving.