This is a foolproof moist chocolate cake. Remember mayonnaise is just eggs and oil. Great recipe from Sally Pasley's Tao of Cooking cookbook.
- Cake: Mix mayonnaise, water, sugar and vanilla together until well blended.
- Sift cocoa, flour salt and baking soda together.
- Stir into liquid ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured sandwich cake tins[8-9 inch size].
- Bake in a preheated 375 deg F oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool and then ice.
- Icing: Bring sugar and cream to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir occasinaly to stop cream from boiling over.
- Remove from heat.
- Finely chop or grate the chocolate.
- Sir into the cream until completely melted.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Once butter is melted, refrigerate icing until cold.
- Once cold beat the icing with an electric mixer or a wooden spoon until thick and of a good spreading consistency.