Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This rich chocolate cake recipe is from The Australain Women's Weekly Cookbook, and is posted for a request.
- 3⁄4 cup hot black coffee
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 125 g butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups plain flour (all-purpose)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, extra
- whipped cream
SOUR CREAM FROSTING
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar (confectioners)
- Stir hot coffee gradually into cocoa.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups sugar with butter, egg yolks, salt, vanilla and half the cocoa mixture.
- Beat until light and creamy.
- Mix bicarbonate of soda and sour cream together.
- To butter and sugar mix add sour cream and coffee-cocoa alternately with sifted flour.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, beat until the meringue stands in stiff peaks.
- Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a deep 23cm (9 inch) or 25cm (10 inch) greased and lined cake tin.
- Bake in a moderate (180c/350f) oven 1-1 1/4 hours.
- Cool completely, then split in 2 layers and fill with whipped cream.
- Spread frosting in a thin layer over top and sides of cake.
- Refrigerate until Sour Cream Frosting is firm.
- SOUR CREAM FROSTING: Melt chocolate over hot water.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly, then stir in sour cream and salt.
- Add sifted icing sugar and beat until a spreading consistency.
this is excellent! and so beautiful i am attempting to post a photo. i made the whipped cream filling using 3/4 c heavy cream and 2 tbsp conf sugar. and after i frosted it i put it in the fridge to set. i have to say this is the best looking cake i have ever baked! and sooo rich and moist. a definite must for all chocolate lovers!
I have just finished baking this cake. Chose this cake because of all the good reviews about it but sad to say this was a real disappointment.The cake was not moist nor did it taste like a real chocolate cake. And I followed the recipe exactly.I am not sure what went wrong but I will not try this cake again.
A very good chocolate cake - I loved that it had a whipped cream filling. Although I make an icing similar to the sour cream one here, I couldn't help thinking, while eating the cake, that an icing with less 'tang' would not have been better...will definitely try again, but next time round with a buttercream - or maybe just some more whipped cream on top!:-)