1/2 Photos of Dark Chocolate Cake
1 hr 35 mins
This recipe brings the chocolate cake to new heights.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (icing)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted over double boiler and slightly cooled
- 2 cups marshmallow cream
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (icing)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 9” round cake pans, greasing sides and bottom. Line the bottoms with parchment paper, then grease the paper.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, sour cream, oil, vinegar and hot water (or hot coffee). Using a wooden spoon, mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- 3Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a thin knife inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the pans for about 20 minutes before releasing them onto cooling racks. Cool completely before adding the filling and frosting. (Note: cake can be made a day in advance.) I froze mine and it was perfect.
- 4For the Filling.
- 5In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium-high speed until creamy, about 3 – 5 minutes. Add the raspberry jam and beat to combine. Turn the mixer down to low speed and add the confectioners’ sugar. Beat until smooth. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- 6For the frosting:.
- 7In a mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium-high speed until creamy, about 3 – 5 minutes. Add the melted, cooled chocolate and beat until well-combined and fluffy. On medium speed, add the marshmallow cream, almond extract, and confectioners’ sugar. Once everything is combined, increase speed to medium-high and beat until smooth and fluffy. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 8Assemble the cake:.
- 9Place the first cake top side down on serving plate. (This will give you a flat surface on which to spread the raspberry cream.) If the cream has been in the fridge, give it a good stir to soften it up a bit. Spread the raspberry cream over the first layer. Place the second cake on top of the filling (bottom side down, so the flat surfaces of the cake meet.) Frost the rest of the cake, top and sides, with chocolate buttercream.
- 10Serve cake at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 773.1
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 91.8 mg
- Sodium 398.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 80.2 g
- Protein 5.6 g