Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Bon Appetit December 2006 (Needs to chill - plan ahead)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, diced (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons cold whole milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tablespoon coarsely crushed red and white striped hard peppermint candy
- 3 1⁄2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons peppermint extract
- For crust:.
- Blend first 4 ingredients in processor.
- Add butter and vanilla; cut in using on/off turns until butter forms pea–size pieces.
- Add milk and blend in using on/off turns until mixture forms small moist clumps.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk.
- Wrap dough in plastic; chill 1 hour.
- Roll dough out between sheets of floured parchment to 12–inch round. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of 10–inch–diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
- Fold dough edges over and press to form thick sides.
- Using thumb, press dough around sides to extend crust 1/8 inch above edge of pan.
- Freeze 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bake crust until brown, piercing bubbles with fork, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to rack; cool.
- For filling:.
- Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan; remove from heat.
- Add all chocolate; whisk until smooth.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup candy.
- Chill until set, about 3 hours.
- Do ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.
- For topping:.
- Using electric mixer, beat all ingredients in large bowl to stiff peaks.
- Spread 2 cups whipped cream over filling, mounding slightly in center.
- Spoon remaining whipped cream into 1 bottom corner of large resealable plastic bag.
- Twist at top; grasp top firmly.
- Using scissors, cut 3/4 inch off filled corner to form opening; turn bag so that 1 seam faces up.
- Pipe 2–inch–long ovals of whipped cream side by side around edge of tart.
- Pipe more ovals to form second ring inside first, then pipe ovals in center.
- Chill at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- Remove tart from pan; place on platter.
- Sprinkle top of tart with remaining 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candies and serve.