1/2 Photos of Dark Cherry-Cranberry Crisp
I mistakenly bought a can of dark cherries instead of red tart cherries, as I had planned to bake cherry crisp for a Sunday dinner. With no other dessert ideas and no time to run to the grocery store, I remedied the situation by adding cranberries when cooking the filling. This provided the tartness that was missing from the dark cherry variety. My family enjoyed it, so I thought the creation was worth sharing in case another cook encounters a similar situation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark sweet cherries, pitted (I used OregoN brand)
- 1/2 cup whole frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a medium saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Place over medium heat and stir constantly until thickened. Cranberries will swell and begin to pop. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3Combine oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. With a fork, thoroughly cut in softened butter (Note: I like to microwave my butter for 30 seconds until mostly melted with a tablespoon-sized chunk of softened butter in the middle. This makes cutting it into the other ingredients much easier).
- 4Pour filling into a lightly greased 8" x 8" baking pan, smoothing to edges of pan, and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- 5Bake for 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
- 6If desired, serve over vanilla ice-cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Cherry-Cranberry Crisp
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.8
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 94.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 50.5 g
- Protein 3.4 g