Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I mistakenly bought a can of dark cherries instead of red tart cherries, as I had planned to bake cherry crisp for a Sunday dinner. With no other dessert ideas and no time to run to the grocery store, I remedied the situation by adding cranberries when cooking the filling. This provided the tartness that was missing from the dark cherry variety. My family enjoyed it, so I thought the creation was worth sharing in case another cook encounters a similar situation.
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark sweet cherries, pitted (I used OregoN brand)
- 1⁄2 cup whole frozen cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dark rum or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Place over medium heat and stir constantly until thickened. Cranberries will swell and begin to pop. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. With a fork, thoroughly cut in softened butter (Note: I like to microwave my butter for 30 seconds until mostly melted with a tablespoon-sized chunk of softened butter in the middle. This makes cutting it into the other ingredients much easier).
- Pour filling into a lightly greased 8" x 8" baking pan, smoothing to edges of pan, and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
- If desired, serve over vanilla ice-cream.
Very nice! I made it with fresh cherries and a tablespoon of spiced rum, since that is what I had on hand. We had it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. As another reviewer said, it is not too sweet, which is what we like. Thanks for sharing!
I made this with frozen whole dark cherries and left out the cranberries. The topping is crunchy and crispy and very more-ish and the cherry filling is just lovely and not too sweet. This was enough for 4 adults & 2 kids with some left over. Served this with cream. Made for Recipe Swap#22 Nov'08