Recipe by English_Rose
Sticky chicken thighs are ideal for the barbecue / grill, served up with onion jam, mixed leaves and a sweet onion dressing by Martin Blunos. Times do not include 4 hours marinating.
- 1 tablespoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon treacle
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark beer
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves plucked
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (scant 1/2 cup)
- salad leaves, to serve
For the onion dressing and onion jam
- 3 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more
- olive oil, for dressing
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the mustard, treacle, sugar, lemon juice, pepper and salt together in a bowl. Stir in the ale, garlic and herbs.
- Slash the chicken thighs through to the bone in several places with a sharp knife.
- Place the thighs into the ale marinade and put in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight. Turn in the liquid from time to time.
- While the chicken is marinating, make the onion dressing and onion jam; mix the onions with the sugar and salt, and leave to stand for about 4 hours.
- Carefully strain off the onion juice and reserve.
- Put the onions in a pan with the 2 tbsp of olive oil and the water. Cook gently to make a soft and pulpy jam. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- For the dressing, mix the onion juice with enough olive oil to make a dressing. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Heat the grill and preheat the oven to 350°F Drain and dry the chicken pieces, brush with a little olive oil and cook on all sides until golden and branded.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes until cooked right through.
- To serve, place a spoonful of the onion jam on each plate, top with two chicken thighs. Dress the mix of leaves and serve along side the thighs.