This German BBQ Chicken recipe is excellent with German sauerkraut and a side of mustard. The chicken can be cooked on a gas or charcoal grill. Chicken needs to marinate for 2 to 12 hours. BEER: Friedrich Dull Krautheimer Urtyp Dunkel and Kaltenberg Prinz Luit Weis Dunkel are great dark lagers. If you enjoy dark wheat beer, try it with Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel for a great pairing. Recipe adapted from a Taste of Germany.
- Whisk together peanut oil and mustard in a large mixing bowl or Ziploc bag. Add beer and lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Stir in garlic, salt, pepper, basil and thyme. Add chicken and turn to coat well. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 12 hours.
- Heat about 5 dozen charcoal briquettes until covered with white ash or preheat gas grill. Spray grill grate with non-stick spray.
- Drain chicken and discard marinade.
- If using a charcoal grill, push hot briquettes to one side of the grill and place chicken on grill rack, on the coals side.
- Cook uncovered until skin is crisp, about 10 minutes, moving and turning as needed with clean tongs to prevent charring.
- Move chicken parts to the cool side of the grill and cover. Cook until meat is opaque throughout and juices run clear, about 10 to 15 minutes more.
Great recipe! I used wingetts guiness beer and kuhnesenf mustard marinated 36 hours next time I will use thighs with bones and skin, prick the skin and marinate 48 hours thanks for the recipe
Wow! This was really yummy and moist chicken with a crispy skin. I used a dark beer (Shiner Bock) and a dijon type mustard. The marinade went together so easily. I am helping dd learn to cook all different types of things since she is getting married soon. This was so easy to put together she managed with only a few questions for me. We made the marinade in a ziploc bag as suggested and then just added the chicken. Marinated for about 4 hours. The chicken did not taste like beer at all. I used some basil that I grew but didnt have all the peanut oil so I used what I had and added veg oil to make 1/2 cup. It was more veg oil than peanut. DO spray the grill with cooking spray before using as it does help the chicken to not stick. (they- dd & dh never listen to me about this one!) This is some terific and easy chicken and got rave reviews. This is so simple and can be waiting right in the refrigerator when you get home. Thanks for a great recipe that will be used again in this house for sure. Made for ZWT4
DH and I made these tender BBQ'ed chicken breasts for dinner the other night. The marinade was so fast to put together, which I really appreciated. We marinaded our chicken for about 10-11 hours. We thought the chicken came out very moist and tender and was tasty. Our only alteration was that we used dijon mustard because that is what we had on hand. Served with German Potatoes as a side. Made for ZWT4.