Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This German BBQ Chicken recipe is excellent with German sauerkraut and a side of mustard. The chicken can be cooked on a gas or charcoal grill. Chicken needs to marinate for 2 to 12 hours. BEER: Friedrich Dull Krautheimer Urtyp Dunkel and Kaltenberg Prinz Luit Weis Dunkel are great dark lagers. If you enjoy dark wheat beer, try it with Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel for a great pairing. Recipe adapted from a Taste of Germany.
Top Review by Chef susan from Sandpoint,Idaho
Great recipe! I used wingetts guiness beer and kuhnesenf mustard marinated 36 hours next time I will use thighs with bones and skin, prick the skin and marinate 48 hours thanks for the recipe
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon German mustard, preferably Dusseldorf-style
- 1 cup german dark beer
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 3 1⁄2-4 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together peanut oil and mustard in a large mixing bowl or Ziploc bag. Add beer and lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Stir in garlic, salt, pepper, basil and thyme. Add chicken and turn to coat well. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 12 hours.
- Heat about 5 dozen charcoal briquettes until covered with white ash or preheat gas grill. Spray grill grate with non-stick spray.
- Drain chicken and discard marinade.
- If using a charcoal grill, push hot briquettes to one side of the grill and place chicken on grill rack, on the coals side.
- Cook uncovered until skin is crisp, about 10 minutes, moving and turning as needed with clean tongs to prevent charring.
- Move chicken parts to the cool side of the grill and cover. Cook until meat is opaque throughout and juices run clear, about 10 to 15 minutes more.