1/2 Photos of Dark Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs (Crock Pot)
8 hrs 30 mins
Papa D 1946-2012's Note:
Adapted from a recipe by Fabio Viviani. Reducing the quart of beef stock to 1 1/2 cups is not included in prep time and a must for a good depth of flavor. A good stout beer is also a must for this recipe, I use Guinness extra stout. Boneless or bone on ribs can be used for this recipe. I have stated 8 hours for cooking time but that will depend on your crock pot, with mine the bone on ribs were almost done at the 6 hour mark so I turned the warm cycle on and let simmer for 2 more hours, they were perfect.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ea. medium onions, sliced
- 5 ea. garlic cloves, smashed with a knife
- 12 ounces stout beer
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1In a medium sauce pan reduce the quart of beef stock to about 1 1/2 cups and set aside.
- 2Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and then dredge in flour until well coated.
- 3Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Cook the dredged ribs until browned on each side, about 5 minutes per side.
- 5When browned on both sides, remove the ribs from the skillet and set aside. Reserve pan drippings for later.
- 6To a slow cooker, add the onion as a bed, then add seared short ribs. Add any juice or drippings reserved from the pan.
- 7Add the stout beer, reduced beef stock, smashed garlic cloves, bay leaf, butter, salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- 8Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to low.
- 9Cook for approximately 8 hours or until tender. When done strain off the grease before removing the ribs to a platter, then thicken the sauce with a cornstarch slurry.
- 10Serve over egg noodles or rice and top with sauce.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Beer Braised Beef Short Ribs (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (779 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1617.9
- Calories from Fat 1204
- Total Fat 133.8 g
- Saturated Fat 56.7 g
- Cholesterol 266.1 mg
- Sodium 1528.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 56.3 g