Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
If your idea of Christmas cake is something dark, tender, rich and sticky, this is for you! Less sugary and fatty than "normal" gingerbread, but just as indulgent.
- 3⁄4 cup cookin' greens kale or 3⁄4 cup chopped frozen greens
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 (1 g) packets stevia (optional)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup spelt flour
- 1⁄3 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup hot coffee
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons minced candied gingerroot (in syrup)
- Preheat the oven to 325F, grease a 9" pan.
- In a small, covered saucepan, cook the kale with the orange juice 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender or food processor with orange zest, flaxseed, stevia, canola oil, brown sugar and maple syrup. Puree smooth.
- Add molasses and fresh ginger, blend in well.
- Add flours, oats, ground ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt, pulse in until just combined.
- Stir together the coffee and baking soda, add to the blender or food processor and pulse inches
- Pulse in the stem ginger.
- Bake 45 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before turning out.