This is a wonderfully moist and fragrant tea loaf, elegantly studded with pineapple, mango and aromatic candied stem-ginger. The addition of Darjeeling tea adds a lovely delicate floral-muscatel note. Jasmine tea would also be very lovely, you may use any tea of your choice. Make at least one day in advance of serving, to allow flavors to meld properly, so plan ahead. Great with a cuppa! This loaf keeps/freezes very well in an airtight container, and would make a lovely and welcome holiday or hostess gift!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces sultanas (golden raisins)
- 1/4 cup crystallized candied ginger, finely chopped (see Crystallized Candied Ginger)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 cup chopped candied mango
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple (fresh or canned)
- 1 tablespoon finely ground darjeeling tea leaves (or 3 tea bags of your choice)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground tea leaves with the sultanas, crystallized ginger, orange zest, lemon zest, and candied mango. Pour the boiling water over and stir in the lemon juice, then cover and set aside to steep until fruit is plump and mixture is cooled (about 30 minutes).
- 2When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- 3When mixture has cooled completely, add the oil and egg, stirring briskly to combine. Stir in the sugar.
- 4In a separate bowl, use a wire whisk to combine the flour, salt, and soda. Gradually add to wet ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in the pineapple.
- 5Turn into greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pan.
- 6Bake at 350°F until done, 50 to 60 minutes.
- 7Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- 8Cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- 9Wrap and store overnight before serving. Or, may be wrapped and frozen in a sealed container for up to three months.
- 10Makes 1 loaf.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Darjeeling Express Fruity English Tea Loaf - Bread
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.5
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 158.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: