Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is by far our favorite mushroom soup recipe. Even my kids will eat mushrooms in this soup! Yummm!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 (12 ounce) packages sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 6 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (I make from salted chicken base)
- 3⁄4 cup white wine (can use sherry)
- 1 pint half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (or use less if using dried)
- 1 dash salt (optional)
- 1 dash pepper (optional)
- Melt butter in frypan. Saute mushrooms, onion, garlic until onions are translucent. Add flour, heat until bubbly. Whisk in broth, wine & parsley. Simmer for 10 minutes or more. Add 1/2 & 1/2, heat through but don't boil. Add salt or pepper to taste. I don't add more salt because I use a salted chicken base for my broth.
This is awesome and so easy to make!!!! I did not make any changes and was sipping wine while adding wine ;). A keeper in my book!
Made for Spring PAC 2013 and I am so glad I did. This is delicious soup and really not hard at all if you're looking for an easy dish. I did use up some cremini and white button mushrooms. Delicious! Definately a keeper. Thank you for posting.
This was sooooo good. I was looking for something to take to a little get together at a friends house. She was making spaghetti and I knew some others were bringing desert. I love soup so I decided on this. I'm glad I did. It was a big hit and everyone wanted the recipe. I didn't change much at all. I only had two 6 ounce packages of baby portabellas, more would have made it a little hardier but that was my mistake. I didn't have white wine so I used red. I only had a half pint of heavy cream so I used that and the same amount of milk which made half and half. I can't believe I didn't have parsley so I use dried chives instead. I did add about a teaspoon of thyme because I like the pairing of mushrooms with thyme. People think this is hard to make, but it really takes no time at all. Thanks Darcy for a delicious recipe. UPDATE: I wanted to make this a little hardier so I added some ground turkey breast and kept everything else the same. It worked really well. I used two packages of mushrooms this time and it was even better.