Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe came from my mother in law. She submitted it to a cook book that was published in the mid to late 70s to benefit the cause of a young girl who had been badly injured. I love these old family recipes - and the history as Mom carefully explains each one to me.
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarse stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup white flour
- 1⁄3 cup wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar or 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 8 tablespoons shortening, melted and cooled
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Lightly beat eggs then combine rest of wet ingredients.
- Gently blend wet into dry ingredients for 1 minute until smooth.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Pour into lightly oiled 8" x 12" metal pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.