Recipe by Sharon123
A longtime favorite of the Oz family. Daphne likes to make it on a Friday and let the flavors mingle and multiply until Sunday. From the cookbook The Chew Food Life Fun.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
This is a nice, spicy chili that even meat-eating DH enjoyed. It is hearty and has good texture. I was short on red kidney beans, so I used one can of red and one can of white (cannellini). We opted for 2 of the chipotle chiles in adobo. We used 12 oz lager and this worked well. We topped with Mexican blend cheese. This was too spicy for my parents when they tried a bite the next day, but was perfect for DH and myself. This also reheated really well for lunch the next day. DH and I already added this to our keeper file and will make again. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced and diced
- 1 (16 ounce) bag corn (frozen or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) canroasted tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (or sub vegetable broth)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- cheddar cheese, shredded to serve
- avocado, chopped to serve
- 2 limes to serve, juice
- sour cream, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and saute until translucent.
- Add the zucchini and corn, and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste and chopped tomatoes with the juice from the can. Then add the salt, pepper, herbs,and spices.
- Add 1-2 chopped chipotle peppers and the beans.Stir well.
- Add the beer(or broth) and the vegetable stock until liquid covers all ingredients in the pot.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with shredded cheese, chopped avoacado, fresh lime juice and sour cream.