Recipe by Kerena
This recipe is from www.thechew.com. Posting here for safe keeping. She says "This cheese steak tastes just like the original but without all the extra calories."
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (sliced thinly)
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 4 whole grain buns
- mayonnaise, for buns
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a grillpan to medium-high heat.
- Drizzle the flank steak with about 3 tablespoons olive oil on either side.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare; set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, heat two tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and add the onions and mushrooms.
- Season and sauté, allowing the mushrooms to release their liquid and for onions to soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat a griddle to medium-high heat.
- Toast buns on griddle; spread with mayonnaise.
- Slice steak and divide into 4 piles on the griddle; top with two cheese slices to warm through and melt the cheese.
- Transfer each mound into a toasted bun.
- Top with some of the onions and mushrooms.
- Top with your favorite condiments like hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce.